A decadent recipe from one of my all time favourite Italian chefs Ms. Lidia Bastianich. They have a luxurious feel and will taste like they took way more effort than they actually did, which is what we all want!
About 1 hour
- Impressive dessert, for those you want to impress
- Kids will adore them (maybe too much)
- To add some sweetness to any gathering
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tspn baking powder
- ½ tspn baking soda
- 1/8 tspn kosher salt
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter (softened)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tspn vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp orange juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- For the cream:
- ½ cup sugar
- 4tspn cornstarch
- A pinch of Kosher salt
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 large eggs
Kitchen things you’ll need:
- Medium saucepan/pot
- 2 large bowls
- Parchment paper
- Cup-cake tray
- Infuser (not a must)
- Make the cream first by whisking the sugar, cornstarch, salt in a medium pot. While whisking pour in the milk over medium-low heat.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl and pour in the milk mixture into the eggs and continue to mix, then put it all back in the saucepan over low medium heat and let it thicken.
- Scrape into a bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- For the cakes preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and line a cupcake pan with parchment or grease it up directly.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt onto a piece of parchment.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a mixture for 2 minutes until fluffy, then add the eggs one at a time mixing well.
- Stir the olive oil, vanilla and zest in and beat for 2 minutes until light and smooth, mix in the flour mixture in thirds alternating with the orange juice beginning and ending with the flour.
- Beat the batter for another 30 seconds then add into the tray and cook for about 25 minutes until a clean toothpick comes out.
- Fill in each cake with a cream, through an infuser or cut the cupcakes in halves scooping the cream into the middle and serve fresh.
- Won’t keep for long so eat up!
- Can garnish with a chocolate glaze or sauce