You all know this by now, anything homemade is great, anything ready made is evil (not quite) but in most cases that is true. Plus it’s way cheaper to do it at home. Granola bars are one such case, it’s so easy to make it should be a crime for you to buy the store brands, plus health wise it’s a world of difference for your kids.
A half hour
- Great flavour and healthy
- Perfect school snack
- Can get the kids to help cooking
- 2 cups Mixed Nuts
- 2 cups Cereal (any will do but Rice Crispies and Corn Flakes are the most popular)
- 2 tbsp Cinnamon
- ½ tspn Nutmeg powder
- ½ cup Honey
- 1 tspn Olive Oil
Kitchen things you’ll need:
- An oven tray (or cookie sheet)
- A food processor
- Medium saucepan
- A mixing bowl
- Roast the mixed nuts and grind to big pieces.
- Add to that any cereal and regrind the mixture.
- Add the cinnamon and nutmeg powders for flavour.
- Heat the mixture with honey (add more than the ½ cup if required) for 10 minutes at medium heat on the stove, continuously stirring or else it will burn.
- Spread on oiled baking pan, compact it and let it cool a little bit for 6 minutes.
- Cut into pieces when cool some more.
- Be creative, you can make it savoury with spices instead of the cinnamon
- You can drizzle some more honey at the top or melted semi-sweet chocolate for extra sweetness
- Crumble on yogurt or oatmeal (instead of bars)
One Comment Add yours