We are very familiar with the rustic and hearty Banana Loafs and Banana Breads. But for those with slightly sweeter cravings how about a good ol’ Banana Cake? The natural sweetness of Bananas has finally got its due in the cake world and it couldn’t be any simpler. This is a middle of the road dessert that sites between the slightly sweet Banana breads and the high sweet ration of the Banana Banoffee Pie.
An hour and 15min
- For impressing those first time visitors
- For those who love Bananas but are tired of Banana bread
- Great housewarming dessert
- 1 ½ cups of bananas, mashed and ripe
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup softened butter
- 2 1/8 cups of sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups of buttermilk
For the frosting:
- ½ cup of softened butter
- 1 (8 oz.) package of softened cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 ½ cups of icing sugar
Kitchen things you’ll need:
- Baking pan (preferably 9×13 inches)
- Hand Mixer
- Large Bowl
- Medium Bowl
- Small Bowl
- Preheat the oven to 135°C (275°F).
- Grease and flour the baking pan.
- In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with the lemon juice; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter and 2 1/8 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 tsp vanilla.
- Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
- Stir in banana mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for one hour or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes. This will make the cake very moist.
- For the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Add icing sugar and beat on low speed until combined, then on high speed until frosting is smooth.
- Spread on cooled cake.
- Garnish with chopped walnuts for a nice crunch