The best of both worlds, brownies and cakes – and this moist dessert is a chocolatey indulgence that will satisfy any sweet cravings. It’s almost a no-fail easy to impress, that will win you many new fans. The soft gooeyness of chocolate is nicely balanced with an unexpected crunch from the pecans (you can use other nuts of course). It will be your go-to dish for those Thanksgiving and Christmas invitations or pot lucks.
About an hour
- Decadent dessert for a chocolate fix
- An almost no-fail quick dessert
- 175g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 225g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 200g caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs, separated
- 65g plain flour
- 50g chopped pecan nuts
Kitchen things you’ll need:
- 9 inch cake pan
- Parchment paper
- Hand Mixer
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (356°F)
- Butter a 9 inch cake pan and line with parchment paper.
- Place 175g/6oz of the chocolate, plus the butter and sugar in a saucepan and heat gently until melted, stirring occasionally, then leave it to cool.
- Whisk the egg yolks into the chocolate mixture, then add the flour, nuts and the remaining chocolate.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then gently but thoroughly fold into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake in the centre of the oven for about 35-40 mins until crusty on top.
- Leave it to cool, then run a knife around the sides and remove from the pan.
- Then serve and enjoy.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve warm with custard or ice cream or cold with cream