Although simple, this recipe is a great one. It’s vegetarian, a bit oily but overall very healthy and low carb. Very filling and surprisingly full of flavour. If you are a fan of eggplants, this is a must try. Simple and full of flavour.
- Quick prep and minimal ingredients
- Filling and simple lunch
- 2 large eggplants
- Cooking oil (depending on the pan)
- 2 cups Greek Yogurt (ideally Lebanese “labneh” if available, which is thicker)
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- Pita bread
- Pinch of salt
Kitchen things you’ll need:
- A large pan or work
- Sharp knife
- Small bowl
- Peel the eggplants into stripes, keeping some of the peel as lines on the eggplant.
- Cut them eggplants into ¾ inch rounds.
- Slightly salt them before frying.
- Heat the cooking oil in the pan, depending on the size of the pan make sure there is enough to cover the eggplant rounds to cook all the way around.
- Fry the rounds until golden brown then place them on a plate with paper towel and pat some of the oil out (don’t overdo it).
- In a bowl mix the yogurt/labneh mixed with minced garlic.
- Slightly salt the fried eggplant again and serve with a side of yogurt/labneh.
- Eat with pita by scooping part f the cooked eggplant with the yogurt to get all the flavours into your small piece of pits for a bit sized munch.
The yogurt/labneh can also be mixed with some cayenne, parsley or cold finely chopped cucumbers to balance the eggplant