This vegetarian curry can be easily done with meat for those needing the carnivorous fix. Full o flavour and very hearty this is great for the cold months, but equally appropriate all year round with its easy ingredients and filling portions.
- Filling lunch
- 1 kg Potatoes
- 4 tbsp Oil
- ½ kg Tomatoes or 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Medium onion
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
Kitchen things you’ll need:
- Large pot
- Rice cooker/Large pot
- Blender (for tomatoes)
- Finely dice the onion and cook in a pot with oil at high heat until slightly caramelized.
- Crush the tomatoes with a blunder, or mix the paste with a little water and season so that it has a lighter watery texture.
- Add the tomato liquid to the pot and cook for 15min.
- Wash and peel the potatoes and cut to ½ to ¾ inch rounds, pour into the pot and cook until the potatoes are tender about 30min or so depending on the stove heat.
- At the same time wash and cook your rice.
- Let it simmer for a good while (20min) – the more the better – enough for the flavours to combine. Serve hot on a bed of cooked rice.
- If you would like to add meat, put in about ½ kg cubed beef and cook with the onions before you put the rest of the ingredients in the pot.
- A good idea would be to bake or fry your potato rounds before you add them to the pot to make sure they are well cooked and save on time.