Gluten free baked goods aren’t just great for those who are gluten intolerant. They offer an easier to digest alternative that’s a nice break for your system even if you can take on flour. Plus, alternatives like Almond flour give a nice subtle flavour missing from regular white flour.
About 60 minutes
- Easy to give out to kids
- Can be used for Passover
- Gluten free
- Cooking ahead
- 4 cup plus 12 tablespoons ground almonds (almond flour), sifted
- 3 pinches salt
- 1 and 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large egg, beaten
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (8 oz), melted and cooled, plus more for the pan
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Kitchen things you’ll need:
- Large bowl
- Hand mixer/or table top mixer
- Whisk or fork to beat the eggs
- Small pot to melt the butter
- Muffin baking pan for 15
- Butter knife (you’ll need it to ease them out of the baking pan)
- Toothpick (to test the muffins)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C). Generously butter the bottom and sides of the muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground almonds, salt, confectioners’ sugar, and granulated sugar. Add the beaten egg, melted butter, and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients. Mix until smooth. The batter should be quite thick. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Carefully turn each muffin out of the pan with the help of a butter knife scraping the sides before you pull them out. Wrap in plastic wrap until serving.
- You can use lemon zest or orange blossom water instead of vanilla
- Garnish with slivers of almonds before you bake or one whole almond each after you bake
- You can use a quarter of the ingredients and bake in a 6” cake pan
- The muffins will keep in an airtight container, or well wrapped in plastic wrap, for a few days without drying – so you can cook ahead.
- Always best to have the butter and eggs at room temperature at least a few hours before you use them.