There are probably as many trifle recipes as there are people. Trifles can be a combination of many things and somehow still come out tasting naturally sweet, fresh, and delicious. Here is an easy one for you with easy to find ingredients; you can just about substitute any of the ingredients to something equally good. To save time the key is to have all the layers ready for assembly.
About 1 hour
- Cold summer treat
- Fresh seasonal fruit dessert
- Range of textures (crunchy, soft)
- No baking dessert
- 1 pack of strawberry jelly (prepare as per instructions if not ready made with boiling and cold water)
- 1 pack of blueberry jelly (prepare as per instructions if not ready made with boiling and cold water)
- Frozen berries (a pack)
- 1 cold banana (if frozen can be cut more easily)
- 1 can of whipped cream
- 1 Orange freshly squeezed
- 1 pack of lady fingers biscuits (or sliced packaged Swiss rolls)
Kitchen things you’ll need:
- A trifle bowl (or any deep bowl)
- Bowls for the jelly (to fridge up) if needed
- Saucepan to make the custard if needed
- Prepare all the ingredients, cook the custard if not ready made and then cool it, cool the jelly if not ready made, slice up the banana and Swiss roll if needed and juice the orange.
- Start with the lady finger biscuits or the Swiss rolls at the base, pour some orange juice on them.
- Put one of the jelly flavours, and then the custard, then the bananas, repeat with the other jelly flavour, then the berries.
- Top off with whipped cream and garnish with more berries.
- You can layer in whatever way you want, you can add another layer of biscuits in the middle (most people love the dry crunch there) but always have them at the base at least.
- The orange juice on the biscuits or Swiss roll helps it from being too soggy.
- You want to do these a few hours before you serve so that the flavours cool together in the fridge before you serve. But not too early to avoid sogginess of the biscuits.
- Sliced peaches are also an a good alternative to bananas (or you can put both!)
Try to serve your guests yourself so that you can cleanly give them all the layers, otherwise people are guaranteed to make a mess of it if they start scooping up themselves.