This easy and simple creamy chocolate frosting recipe is a fool proof safety net for all your baking goods. Cupcakes, cakes, pies – what have you. The recipe below makes 3 and ½ cups of delicious frosting that can easily cover two to three good sized cakes and can be also used for layer fillings
- All your baking frosting
- Easy to pipe into designs and decorations
- Stores for a good while in the fridge
- Cheaper and tastier than ready to buy frosting
- 1 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup very warm water
Kitchen things you’ll need:
- Baking pan (preferably 9×13 inches)
- Hand or Stand Mixer
- Large Bowl
- Medium Bowl
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, vanilla, and warm water and mix on low speed, until the mixture comes together.
- Slowly increase the speed to medium and beat the frosting for 2 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Let the frosting cool for 15 minutes before using.
- Store airtight at room temperature for up to 3 days, or store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 7 days, OR store airtight in the freezer for up to a month.
- Add food colouring to have different styles, or mix in edible glitter
- Mix in finely chopped hazelnuts and that way it’s ready for spreading anywhere – not a good idea if you want to use it for piping though