Another Middle Eastern staple, this is for eggplant lovers – like me – a Godsend. This is very similar in appearance and texture to hummus but made entirely out of baked eggplant. A nice appetizer, the eggplant is a great weighty addition to any meal.
- Flavourful, ethnic appetizer
- Vegan dish
- Dipping with veggies or chips
- 3-4 Medium sized eggplants
- 1/2 to 1 clove of crushed garlic
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp of salt
- 4 tbsp of Tahini (sesame paste/sauce)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Kitchen things you’ll need:
- Small bowl
- Citrus juicer
- Baking sheet
- Ideally, grill the eggplant on direct fire to give it a smoky flavour. You can also cut the eggplants in long pieces and place them on a baking sheet then roast them in an oven for 20-25 minutes at In a 350°F (175°C).
- blend it in the food processer with lemon, olive oil, tahini, garlic and salt to taste
- Drizzle with some olive oil and serve with pita bread at room temperature.
- If you don’t use tahini and add vegetables it is known as “Baba Ghanoush” which is another great tasting option.
- To add a nice crunch try garnishing with toasted pine nuts
- For a meatier option you can add some cooked ground beef as well
- Spice it up with a nice sprinkle of cayenne pepper