This is one of those cakes that looks more difficult when you serve it that to actually make it – which is the kind of cakes I like. More importantly it’s so easy and quick to make, that it will be your go to for company coming over, especially as a nice cool down in the summer. If kids are coming this is almost a must. It’s also great because not only can you do it ahead of time – you have to in order for it to freeze well. Once you do it the first time you’ll see how easy and impressive this is, it’s almost criminal.
30 minutes (Plus another few hours for freezing)
- Kids will love it
- So easy and simple
- Few ingredients
- A cool treat in warmer weather
- 10 to 12 Swiss cake rolls (the small packaged ones)
- 2 pints of vanilla ice cream, softened
- 2 pints of chocolate ice cream, softened
Not a must:
- 3/4 cup hot fudge ice cream topping as a middle layer
- Syrups and other decorations
Kitchen things you’ll need:
- Medium bowl (easily holds 2 quarts or about 8 cups)
- Saran plastic wrap
- Serrated knife (to cleanly cut the rolls)
- Ice cream scoop
- Line the bowl with the plastic wrap. Cut each cake roll into eight slices (about 2 inches thick); line them in the bowl completely covering the bottom and sides. Doesn’t matter that there are some gaps in between.
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 20 minutes or until the rolls are firm.
- Spread vanilla ice cream inside the rolls. Cover and freeze for at least 1 hour.
- Spread with fudge topping as a middle layer or go straight to the next step. If you put fudge freeze for at least 1 additional hour.
- Spread with chocolate ice cream. Cover and freeze anywhere between 1 hour up to 2 months!
- Just before serving, remove from the freezer and invert onto a serving plate. Remove bowl and plastic wrap. Cut into wedges.
- Of course you can play with the ice cream flavours such as peanut butter ice-cream with chocolate, strawberry with vanilla, mango with lemon, etc.
- You can also use chocolate or white/vanilla rolls with strawberry jams as an alternative (or interchangeably both on the same cake)
- It looks impressive as is, but you can always garnish with ice cream syrups of any kind and sprinkles for a birthday cake!
- Make sure you use freezer friendly bowls such as stainless steel or silicon – most of them are anyway but just check in case so that you don’t ruin your bowl.