I’m a huge fan of soups, especially if you are trying to eat healthier. They fill you up and you can jam pack them with veggies and healthy goodies without really tasting all those veggies (which is great for kids). They are a light dinner which is easy on your bowl especially if you plan to sleep soon after. This one is heart, smooth and simple. Can be served cold like a gazpacho or a warm appetiser. I suggest having a larger portion as a dinner meal as part of your diet, if you are on a diet, no that you need to be, you look good trust me….anyway, enjoy.
- Hearty winter soup
- A filling light healthy meal
- Great for giving kids veggies incognito
- ¼ cup Basil, fresh
- 2 Carrots, medium
- 2 medium cloves Garlic
- 1 Onion, medium
- 8 Roma/plum tomatoes (or 6 regular tomatoes)
- 4 cups Chicken stock
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 cup Water
- ½ cup fresh parsley finely chopped
Not a must:
- Shredded mozzarella or parmesan cheese to garnish
- A tspn of concentrated or fresh lemon juice
Kitchen things you’ll need:
- A large saucepan
- Saran plastic wrap
- Serrated knife (to cleanly cut the rolls)
- Ice cream scoop
- Dice the tomatoes into small cubes (size is not a big deal here but a reasonable small size). Same for the onions and crush the garlic. Carrots can be shopped into slices or cubes whatever you prefer.
- Combine everything in the saucepan the water, butter, tomatoes, carrots, onions, broth and garlic in the sauce pan and blend them with a hand blender (or a food processor then pour into your saucepan).
- After the mixture is smooth, add the herbs, finely chop them, and blend them in if you want or keep them as is.
- Add a little but of salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook till the soup starts to boil and then let it simmer on very low heat until just before you serve.
- Garnish with shredded parmesan or mozzarella cheese to add some creaminess, colour and texture.
- Add a tspn of lemon juice or tabasco for added flavour.
- Served well with garlic bread or bruschetta.
- For added texture, and for the kids’ affection, add some croutons.
- Great for summer (hot or cold) and as a hearty smooth soup for winter, great as an alternative for chicken soup on those drabby sick days.